If you often find yourself spending hours outside cutting your lawn manually, you may want to consider investing in a riding lawn mower. These much larger, but also much easier, mowers are able to cut large gardens, go over hills, and move rocks away without putting too much strain on your body. As someone who has trouble pushing an ordinary mower, I can’t tell you how valuable these riding mowers are!
It can still be difficult to choose the best option though with so many factors and features to keep in mind. This includes the deck size, engine power, transmission type, turning radius, power, and so on. You also need to consider safety, and what you plan on using your mower for. Luckily for you however, I’ll go over all of these and the best riding lawn mowers to match so you can choose the right one for both you and your yard. With the unrivaled power of a riding mower, you’ll never want to go back to those old push versions!
Overview of the Top 10 Ride on Lawn Mowers
There are a lot of riding lawn mowers that might seem to be perfect for your yard, but I managed to narrow down the list to the top 10 to make your choice just a bit easier.
Worx WG794 Landroid Pre-Programmed Robotic Lawn Mower with Rain Sensor and Safety Shut-off
Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower
Asin Was Not Returned
Husqvarna RZ3016 30-Inch 16.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower
Troy-Bilt 540cc Briggs & Stratton Intek Automatic Riding Lawnmower
Asin Was Not Returned
Poulan Pro 960420188 Briggs and Stratton 20 hp Pedal Control Automatic Drive Riding Mower, 46\" 46000 Outdoor Power Issue - Over LTL Weight Max
Husqvarna 531308322 Universal Lawn Tractor Sun Shade
Yard Machines 420cc 42-Inch Riding Lawn Tractor
Asin Was Not Returned
This mower is fully programmed out of the box, so you’re able to set it up and use it right away! With AIA technology, WORX is able to make even the most intricate of cuts while navigating narrow passages and mowing everything evenly. Even on declines up to 20 degrees, you should have no problem. Just use the sensor system to avoid obstacles and recharge the battery for your next mow.
As long as you’re detailed when you go around your yard, you’ll be able to catch every section without a problem within this riding mower.
- People love how easy it is to learn to use this mower, and how the instructions are able to address all problems with ease.
- It’s engineered to cut off small pieces of grass every time you cut, with easy to replace and sharpen blades so it will work just as great as the day you assembled it.
Thanks to the 382cc engine with speeds of 4.23 MPH, you’ll have all the power you need to cut your grass down to size. The deck is slim at only 30 inches, but there are 5 adjustable settings and a 6-speed transmission for increased power. Turn with an 18-inch turning radius on manual power, so you’ll be able to take off quickly and manage your blades with ease. As long as your land is small to medium, you’ll have no problem!
One thing that makes this mower unique is that the dual circuit alternator allows for faster charging, making the whole mowing process much more efficient. Not only does it charge fast, but it’s durable too.
- People love how they’re able to ride around on this mower without worrying about the wear and tear.
- You’ll even be able to turn extremely efficiently, and with only 45 minutes needed to put it together, the Troy-Bilt is hard to beat.
With the 24-horsepower v-twin endurance engine, you have lots of power to always get the job done, regardless of how thick your lawn is or what obstacles are in the way. Make use of the 54-inch stamped cutting deck to maneuver your mower around the yard easily. It helps that the electric clutch allows easy blade engagement to help you move around your lawn. Of course, this Husqvarna also has a dual hydro-gear EZT transmission, and 4 anti-scalp rollers to simplify the process even more.
- Even with 6 acres of land to go over, this mower from Husqvarna can accomplish the task quickly, cutting your time in half.
- Mow over high and thick grass is no problem with the 24 HP, making any problem short work.
- You can even put it together in about 15 minutes so you can get started right away!
- On top of that, people note that you’re able to use it in wet and dry weather, making it versatile too.
Make use of the 30-inch stamped 13-gauge cutting deck to maneuver around any area in your yard with ease. The horsepower is perfect for smaller to medium-sized yards, with an engine that is meant for endurance. Just use the dual hydro-gear EZT drive system to get around your yard with little to no effort, and the tires to blow over any hills or uneven terrain without worrying about the durability of your mower.
Everything is so well-packaged to avoid damage that you might find it difficult to remove the mower from the box when you get it!
- Once you have got it out though, you’ll love how well-made it is, and how close of a cut you’ll get whenever you use it.
- You may even need to be careful with it thanks to how powerful the motor is.
- Even after two years, people love how durable it is and how it still continues to work no matter what you throw at it.
With 19-horsepower, this engine is able to accomplish all tasks in your small to medium yard without stalling. Just use the foot pedal automatic transmission for complete mowing in any sort of area. Not only is it simple, but it’s made for your comfort too! The soft touch steering and mid-back seat keep you feeling great on that 46-inch desk even as the 2-year warranty guarantees that any issues will be handled no matter what they are.
Thanks to the packaging, the mower should arrive in perfect condition, so once you take it out of the box, you’ll definitely be impressed by it.
- Steering is amazing and the controls are well-thought out so you don’t have to mess around when you’re out there mowing.
- If you need to stop quickly as well, the gas pedal is perfect, and allows you to stop on a dime.
- Lower or raise the deck with the switch of a finger, and make use of the easy and effective deck wash function too!
Husqvarna is a great company when it comes to outdoor products, including riding mowers. They’ve even got Air Induction Mowing Technology, so air is drawn from the top and delivered to the bottom, improving grass lift and giving you a superior cut. The stamped steel cutting deck is even reinforced with heavy steel for strength and durability to give you a worry-free performance and zero-turn transmissions. With the deck lift system located within easy reach, you’ll be able to make use of it whenever you need.
- People love how easy it is to attach the seat and the battery, with simple setup instructions to allow for quick use.
- As soon as you settle in and get comfortable, you’ll love how simple it is to operate it.
- Even the lawn will look beautiful, without all those unsightly cutting marks leftover after you’re done.
- People comment on the fact that it doesn’t hurt their butt or back after sitting for a while!
For efficiency and durability, it’s hard to beat Husqvarna.
With the 46-inch reinforced and vented deck on this Poulan, there will be more air flowing under the deck and into longer grass. That deck even has a 10-year warranty so you’ll stay completely protected! The entire Poulan Pro operates just like a car with the foot pedals that can get you up to 7.5 MPH using automatic transmission, and allows you to cut with 20 HP. Just add the mulch bag or any of the other optional attachments to make your ride that much easier!
It’s great that once you receive this mower, you’re able to easily fit it together to start using it right away.
- It runs smoothly to give you a beautiful cut without streaks everywhere when you’re finished.
- On top of that, this mower is much easier to use than other types due to the foot pedals, and runs so quickly that you can cover any sort of area without taking up too much time.
When you get a Husqvarna, not only do you get a riding mower that will most certainly get the job done, but a mower that’s easy to assemble too. In less than 30 minutes, you’ll be ready to ride around on this mower with the included sun shade to protect you from the elements. It’s even made of durable UV resistant black nylon, clocking in at 34 inches wide by 43 inches long to give you the most coverage possible.
- With the additional base support included with this Husqvarna, you’ll notice how sturdy and stable everything is.
- The overhead protector allows you to stay out of the sun even while you’re outside, with a design that’s leaps and bounds ahead of other comparable models.
- People love how easy it is to assemble and install, and for the price, it’s nearly impossible to find a better deal.
The strong 420cc engine in Yard Machines Lawn Tractor is meant to give you the most amount of power possible. The 7-speed gear shift allows you to conquer all in your way, and complete every lawn task easily and quickly. With the 42-inch blade that cuts a wide area, you can mow any lawn, and shouldn’t even have problems will hilly areas. Thanks to the 2-year warranty too, you won’t have to worry too much about this mower.
- One thing that sets this mower from Yard Machines apart from others is the fact that it’s extremely easy to manoeuvre.
- Various gears make it easy to mow on even when you’re riding on slight inclines.
- People who haven’t been able to mow their lawn in months comment on how easy it is to use this, and how it can cut down feet of grass without a problem in just seconds!
- This powerful mower is definitely perfect for any yard work you have in mind.
Make use of this 42-inch deck mower to maneuver around wherever you need to go. Thanks t the 18-horsepower in this hydrostatic gas front-engine, you have lots of power to support every yard task you might have in mind. With a more aggressive mower underneath you, it won’t be hard to keep your yard looking great. It’s even easy to assemble, so you won’t have to mess around with assembly too much before you’re able to go out and begin mowing!
- If you’re looking for an aggressive mower than will handle even the most difficult of lawns, the Cub Cadet is a perfect option.
- People love how easily it moves and how powerful it is, allowing you to use it as a tractor or as a mower without any sort of problem.
- You can even set it to mow in reverse, saving you lots of time in the end. If you need to shut it off quickly, just flip it off with the flick of a switch.
It can feel so challenging choosing just one out of the 10 amazing riding lawn mowers I’ve suggested for you. You might already know which one you want, but before you finalize your purchase, take a look at these considerations just to be sure.
Why Buy a Riding Mower?
If you’re looking for something with more speed, power, and performance, a riding mower may be perfect for you. Especially with large or hilly lawns, you’ll save lots of time and energy. You’ll also be safer thanks to the elevated seat that keeps you off the ground and out of the way of any rocks or objects the blades might send your way.
This only applies to those of you who live in California, but give your mower a check to be sure that it’s California compliant. Information about whether it’s able to be used in California should be right on the purchase page. This is mainly due to the anti-pollution standards in California, which requires that the fuel system and exhaust meet minimum standards.
Even if you live outside the state of California, you might still want something that has California standards. These tend to benefit the environment more since they’re made with higher standards in mind.
Think about how much mowing you plan on doing, and how large the mowing area is. No mower will work for every task, making this perhaps the most important factor in choosing your mower. Different types of mowers are meant for different sized yards, so your mower needs to fit your needs. Small to medium yards can work with mowers meant for small area. If you’ve got something like a farm of business however, an actual garden tracker is a better idea.
Different motors are meant for different areas too, so think about the amount of horsepower as well. Smaller areas need a motor of 16 horsepower, medium ones need 20, and larger ones will work best with a horsepower of 25 or larger.
When you mow your lawn, usually you end up mowing over a flat surface. That’s not always possible however, since there are slopes or thicker lawns that require more blades or a smaller deck to mow.
If you’re mowing somewhere with heavier grass, get something with four blades. If you’re mowing something sloped, your mower will need a smaller deck to maneuver better. It helps that it digs less into the ground as well. Ultimately, think about how many trees you’ve got to avoid and what type of terrain you’re mowing over.
This may seem obvious, but all of your materials should be high quality, and the mower itself should be well-built. It’s best not to buy something that will break quickly.
Of course, you want to think about comfort when you’re riding inside your mower. Many mowers have different types of seats like bucket seats or high back seats, or even some that are roomier and built for larger occupants. You don’t want something that’s so uncomfortable that you won’t end up using it, even if it does end up having other features you’d like.
Now that you know what sized space you want to mow, think about the deck size you’d like. There are a lot of sizes from 42, 46, 48, 54, 60, 66 inches, and more, but specifications will vary from one brand to another, so be aware of what you buy.
For the most part, if you’re only mowing 0.5 to 1 acre, something that’s 42 inches should work fine. Anything that’s 2-3 acres requires anything from a 48-inch, 54-inch, or 60-inch deck. Don’t worry about this too much though, since manufacturers usually specify deck size for whatever requirements you have.
Ride a faster mower to get your job done in record time! Especially if you’re a professional landscaper or maintenance worker, you’ll want something that will increase your efficiency so you can move on to your next task.
Finding something with a wider blade may be essential for you, since it will allow you to cut with greater area, therefore completing the mowing at a quicker rate. With this in mind though, remember that some of these mowers may be too wide to move around comfortably, especially if you have a smaller property. Check around your property to see if there are any spots that are too tight for the mower you want.
If you find a zero-turn riding mower, this just means that it has the tightest turn radius of any model or mower. You’ll get lots of maneuverability with this, allowing you to move around trees, shrubs, and lawn statues without getting caught or having a hard time moving. These types of mowers are perfect for smaller yards, or yards that have a lot of obstacles in the way.
Unfortunately however, zero-turn design mowers do have more difficulty on hills since they turn too sharply when you’re on steeper terrain. If your yard isn’t full of hills, it shouldn’t be an issue for you though, and may come in handy.
Lawn and Garden Tractors
These types of mowers also double as tractors, and will not necessarily look different from other models, but usually have more power and are able to complete larger tasks. With extra attachments, you’ll be able to do tasks that a tractor would normally only be able to do.
Where the engine is on a mower determines the amount of power you’ve got. Anything with a mower in the rear will have less power and size, including zero-turn mowers. By contrast, front-engine mowers have larger engines, more power, and increased cutting ability. These are the types of mowers that have higher horsepower, enabling them to cut larger areas like farms or businesses.
Think about your mower like you would think about a car, since all of these come with different transmissions. Generally however, there are three main transmission systems: manual, automatic, and hydrostatic. Manual and automatic transmissions are very similar to the type of manual system you’d find in a car. They require gears to be manually changed, while automatic is just controlled with an ordinary gas pedal.
On the other hand, hydrostatic transmissions are slightly different. These work like automatic since you don’t have to change gears, but they use fluid instead of a belt to move power between the engine and the wheels. What you end up choosing really depends on personal preference, but automatic may be better for mowers that need increased movement or speed changes, while hydrostatic gives you a smoother ride overall.
With so many riding mowers out there, you can be sure that there are a few amazing attachments and accessories that come with them too. Of course, these accessories depend on your mower, the size, and the power, but common accessories are:
- Twin baggers that catch lawn clippings so they don’t end up all over the lawn
- A sun shade and snow cab that can provide protection from the sun, snow, and wind. These can also give you comfort as well since you’re protected from the elements
- Mulch lawn kits, which chop and re-chop clippings to turn them into mulch. This will break down more easily to eliminate bagging the clippings and mulching separately
- Tow-behind carts that attach to the back of mowers, so you can tow 1000 pounds simply
- Rear sprayers and spreaders for small farms that will apply chemicals, seeds, and fertilizer over the soil
- Snow throwers and snow blade so you can use these as mini snow plows too
Finally, look for that warranty. These mowers aren’t necessarily cheap, and do require a bit of an investment, so you want something that you can use for years to come. Try to find something that comes with a 3-year warranty at the very least, although 2-year warranties are a little more common.
There’s a lot to consider when it comes to picking out the very best riding lawn mowers, but hopefully I’ve helped to narrow down the list for you. Pick out any of the top 10 options for something that will match your yard with the right deck size, turning, and transmission. Once you have the right one, you’ll save lots of time while being safer and using less effort too!
Enter your text here...